You are here
This Ministry is responsible for development and maintenance of National Highways, administration of the Central Road Fund and formulation and implementation of policies relating to road transport. The subjects allocated to the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, at present, as per the Govt. of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961 framed and issued by Cabinet Secretariat, are as follows:-
THE FOLLOWING SUBJECTS WHICH FALL WITHIN LIST 1 OF THE SEVENTH SCHEDULE TO THE CONSTITUTION OF INDIA:
- Compulsory insurance of motor vehicles.
- Administration of the Road Transport Corporations Act, 1950 (64 of 1950).
- Highways declared by or under law made by Parliament to be national highways.
- Issuance of notifications under clause (a) of section 3 and sections 3A, 3D, 7 and section 8A of the National Highways Act, 1956 (48 of 1956) without being scrutinised and vetted by the Legislative Department.
IN RESPECT OF THE UNION TERRITORIES:
- Roads other than National Highways.
- Administration of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 (59 of 1988) and taxation of motor vehicles.
- Vehicles other than mechanically propelled vehicles.
OTHER SUBJECTS WHICH HAVE NOT BEEN INCLUDED UNDER THE PREVIOUS PARTS:
- Coordination and Research pertaining to Road Works.
- Road works financed in whole or in part by the Central Government other than those in the North Eastern Region.
- Motor vehicles legislation.
- Promotion of Transport Co-operatives in the field of motor transport and inland water transport.
- Formulation of the privatisation policy in the infrastructure areas of roads.
- National Highways Authority of India.
- National Institute of Training for Highway Engineers.
PUBLIC SECTOR UNDERTAKINGS:
- Indian Road Construction Corporation.
- The Road Transport Corporations Act, 1950 (64 of 1950).
- The National Highway Act, 1956 (48 of 1956).
- The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 (59 of 1988).
- The National Highways Authority of India Act, 1988 (68 of 1988).